The Simple Life

I have just moved onto my new moorings in Aylesbury. By contrast to my existing moorings, this one has much greater facilities. It has only taken me a day on the mooring to realise that some of the things taken for granted by people living less basically than I have been for the last eight years, are both wonderful, luxurious, and completely invisible most of the time. Take electricity for instance. I have an electric supply on my boat - stored in batteries, and provided by running either my engine or generator. Now I am on a land line, which means if I want to have more than one light and one electronic item on at a time, I do not have to think about, or check the state of the batteries before doing so. I do not have to think about the next time I am going to run the engine, nor fit the running of the engine in with noise abatement regulations. Equally, I have toilet arrangements on my boat, but they need a pump out at regular intervals, and to get a pump out I need to travel (on my old moorings) 3 miles; (or on my new moorings) 8 miles and 21 locks; so having an accessible toilet 15 yards from my boat rather than 400 yards means that toilet visits don't have to be planned out in advance and in detail.

I am going to try and maintain my new found awareness of the wonder of these, commonplace, gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment