Samye Ling

I arrived at Samye Ling as described in my last post. I got my key, and went up to my room. The first thing that I saw when I entered the room was this delightful sight.





I took these photos before doing any unpacking or sorting myself out. When I had unpacked I did my usual thing in any new place. I went for a wander about the grounds of Samye Ling. It is a very extensive place, with the temple, a Stupa, a lamp house, dining and workshop block, building works as they build (slowly) phase two of the temple area, a formal gate, lake, vegetable garden, several houses, multiple cells for the permanent residents, a cafe, a Tibetan shop, at least two residential blocks, the original house - which now functions as administrative offices, charity offices, residence for some of the monks, library, and common room - a barn, multiple small workshops, a carpentry shop, and a metal workshop. The whole grounds are bounded by the river - a river along the boundary, with another river joining it at about the midpoint of the grounds.







The area the monastry is situated in is one of the biggest comercial pine forests in the country. It is in a hilly area, with quite large hills. The hills are heavily weathered, as a result of the site's proximity to the west coast of Scotland. As a result there are quite a number of temporary roads cut in the forest for the use of the lumber industry. As a result of all these factors, it is apparently quite easy to get lost in the area, when walking. I did not leave the main site for the duration of the week.

The information I had received before the week included the timetable for the week, and the monastic timetable. These made it clear that it was as was to be expected - a monastic timetable - prayers and meditation early - the main meal being at lunch time - work sessions in the morning - free time in the afternoon - and more prayers and meditation in the early evening and after the meal.

I picked up on this timetable at the evening meal, which represented the start of the week.

More on the actual week to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment