Diary of a Madcap Idea part III

<- previous                                                                                                                            next ->
With only 16 weeks before I start trekking, I tried to assess my progress. I am improving all the time but don't know if I will have done enough. I look at the pros and cons of my currently training, and other options.

Gym:
    Pros:
        Convenience. (5 minutes walk away).
        Expertise. One of the trainers at the gym has been working with me to build my training plans.
        Intensity. From previous experience, and research, it appears that trekking at altitude with pack, takes between 500 and 700 Kcal/hour. In the gym I am regularly achieving half of this, with substantial parts of my workout not measured.
        Terrain: On the treadmill I can simulate hill walking, with all the hills being up.
        Weather: Possible to do training irrespective of weather.
    Cons:
        Tedium: A lot of my work is on a treadmill. In Victorian times a treadmill was used as punishment. I know why.
        Indoors: One of the joys of walking is being in the great outdoors, with the birds kicking up a racket.
        Weather: A factor in trekking is dealing with the weather conditions, good or bad. This can't be replicated inside.
        Terrain: It is artificial terrain, and condiitions.
        Progress: While I can determine that I am improving, I find it difficult to know if this is sufficient.
        Work: It is very hard work.

I am doing three sessions a week, ranging from 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours.

Walking locally:
    Pros:
        Outdoors: Pleasurable.
        Other benefits: Makes sense to take my camera with me, which enables me to get some photos
    Cons:
        Convenience: Even the closest, none pavement walk is 20 minutes walk away. It is also very short. Anything longer is a car journey away.
        Terrain: No hills.
        Intensity: It is difficult to do intensive training without concentrating on speed rather than stamina.
        Vanity: I'm sure I'd feel conspicuous and silly with my gear setup for Himalaya rather than the lanes of Northampton.
       
Walking non-locally
    Pros:
        Outdoors: Pleasurable.
        Terrain: Can be hills, depending where I go.
    Cons:
        Convenience: Likely to be an all day event, when travel to and from is taken into account.
<- previous                                                                                                                            next ->