Sunday 9 September 2018

Sandpiper set


Today, I saw and photographed a green sandpiper. This completed my set of common, non-coastal, British, sand pipers - common, green and wood. Like the other photos I have taken of these birds, the actual bird is tiny within the picture. The pictures below of the green and common sandpiper do show their size. Those of the wood sandpiper are so small I can't make any decent picture from them. They are good only for identification purposes (with a magnifier). So I have a full set of birds but not pictures. Pictures will have to wait until I next see a wood sandpiper.

Green sandpiper

Common sandpiper playing with the big boys
The wood sandpiper's understudy has had to step in. This bird at Marston Vale, is disadvantaged by the lack of colour. The bird was near, but not with, the large flock of other cormorants.

Leucistic cormorant

No comments:

Post a Comment