Extremophiles and me

I had thought that extremophiles were confined to bacteria; but as time goes on I am becoming convinced that I am one.   Give me days like this one and the last two - glorious sunshine, high temperatures, no cloud, and no wind - and I revel in it.  The temperature over the last two days at the rear of the boat, where I stand (in direct sunshine), has been between 34 and 37C.  I tend to enjoy this type of weather until I my body gets dehydrated (and I fail to recognise the symptoms until too late).

Put me on the slopes of Everest with daytime temperatures of 20oC and night time temperatures of -20C and again everything is marvellous.  Get stuck in Scotland over Xmas and New Year, with temperatures of -25C, and snowfall of nine inches in one night, and life is fun.

However,  in between days are dire - drear, depressing, dank, damp, and dicey.  I will shelter indoors, unwilling to emerge into the light (or the dusk, dawn, or night) and I sit and vegatate.

So I think I must be an extremophile.

No comments:

Post a Comment