The National Health Service

Today I had a minor operation on the NHS. The actual operation was completed in about 20 minutes - getting the local anesthetic; being put on the table; having a minor cyst removed; stitched up; removal of surgical materials etc. However, the administration side was a different matter. My appointment was 11:45 and I got there a few minutes early. The paperwork was done quickly - consent form; explanation of the risks; confirmation of identity etc; visit by the surgeon and provision of a hospital gown. All done by shortly after 12:00. Then I waited, and waited, and waited and waited - I finally went down to theatre at 17:05 - FIVE HOURS OF HANGING ABOUT. Admittedly I managed, during this time to do my Tai Ji practice; I had also picked up a very substantial novel (new in paperback) by Neal Stevenson - Anathem. He is an author I rate very highly. This new book is just under 1000 pages long. Thanks to the enforced hanging about I read about a third of the book.

I am a fan of the NHS - for all the criticism and hostility directed towards it, it does a very good job. But the non-medical side of the Health Service is dire. My surgery was done competently and professionally, at a date within my preferences, and all the staff were doing a very good job - but oh dear - the systems they have to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment