Picking up coal

The first opportunity to get the coal I needed was Wednesday. I was not looking forward to the trip, anticipating ice on the canal, and miserable weather. In the event the weather going up to Stoke Bruerne was very good; the trip was ice free, due to the River Tove being in spate; and the whole journey an example of how good it can be to cruise in the winter if the conditions are good. The River was flowing so fast that it took me 90 minutes for the return trip including getting into the arm where I moor, and actual mooring. As these latter activities normally take about 10 minutes and the journey from Stoke about two hours (plus or minus five minutes) the fact that I saved around 25% of the journey time shows just how much the river was flowing. It turned out to be a very enjoyable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment